The holidays will be here before you know it, and now is the perfect time to get a jump-start on your holiday crafting, gift-making, and decorating. Mason jar crafts can be the perfect DIY activity to enjoy alone or with a loved one leading into the holiday season. The many styles of mason jars allow you to create countless fun and festive gift ideas and home accents ranging from purely decorative to edible and beyond. The fruits of your efforts become beautiful, useful items to enjoy around your own home or to give to a family member or friend.
With a few supplies and a little creativity, you can come up with cute mason jar ideas to satisfy any special recipient on your list. In fact, you may love your mason jar ideas so much that you’ll have to make a few extras to keep for your own use.
Mason Jar Food Ideas
When it comes to the kitchen, you’ll find so many unique mason jar uses, from storing baking ingredients to whipping up quick mixes for treats, breakfasts, snacks, and more. Food themed mason jar gift ideas will be treasured, at least until they’re devoured! Here are a few simple mason jar recipes to try this holiday season.
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Mason Jar – Assemble all the dry ingredients from your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe into a mason jar. Create a cute holiday themed label with the remainder of the recipe, including wet ingredients, cook time, and temperature. Lastly, tie a festive ribbon on top and give as a classy gift to anyone on your list!
- Trail Mix Mason Jar – Who doesn’t love a fast and easy snack? Whip up a quick batch of homemade trail mix using mason jars and all your favorite nuts, seeds, dried fruit pieces, and a handful of chocolate chips or M&Ms®. Include a small wooden scoop if you like. Place a holiday bow on top and set these aside for lovely gifts.
- Pancakes Mason Jar – Pancakes can be the perfect breakfast idea all year long, but the homemade ones taste so much better than the boxed alternatives. Mix up your favorite pancake recipe using just the dry ingredients and place contents in the mason jar. Create labels to finish off the recipe with wet ingredients and affix to the jar. If you like, you can even customize your pancake recipes to the recipient, for example, giving instructions on making pumpkin pancakes, fruit swirl pancakes, or tossing in a bunch of chocolate chips for the sweets lover.
Mason Jar Decoration Ideas
While food and treats work very well in mason jars, you can also make lovely decorations for the holidays. Consider these mason jar decoration ideas to dress up your home or to spread cheer to a loved one.
- Mason Jar Candles – Make your own holiday candles by placing wicks in the bottom of the mason jars and then placing wax pieces (chips, beads, or flakes) into the jar. You can create pretty layers and patterns or keep it simple with all one color. Tie a ribbon around the jar’s neck or place a bow on top and you have a beautiful and aromatic home accent!
- Mason Jar Candle Holders – Paint the outside of a mason jar with small holiday details and place a small votive candle or tealight candle inside. If you want to create an entire centerpiece, create several of these using different sizes of mason jars and place pinecones and bits of evergreen on either side of the jars.
- Mason Jar Faux Snow Globe – What would the holidays be without a snow globe? Create your own adorable mason jar snow globe using any creative winter scene that sets your heart aglow.
These are just a few DIY mason jar ideas to get you started before the holidays arrive. Mason jars afford hundreds if not thousands of creative uses in and around the home, especially this time of year. Enjoy your mason jar projects and happy crafting!